Singapore Adventure

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

It's All Relative
by venitha

"It's official," I told Jim as we walked around the block, gloriously sweat-free after a five-mile run in the cool Colorado morning air. "Singapore is hell."

Jim smiled ruefully but said nothing, and not only because he was still gasping for oxygen in the mile-high air. It's a slippery slope, this bitter negativity, one he's lost his footing on before. Older and wiser, he now stands firmly on the Ridge of Neutrality. And gets one helluva good footing before offering me a hand up with his mantra: it's all relative.

Many dry miles and a few jetlag-free days and nights later, I'm more amenable to Jim's perspective. Singapore may not be hell. Ft Collins may not be heaven. Still, I'm glad I went to church on Sunday; I have no doubt about where I want to spend the rest of my life, let alone eternity.

venitha
This was the lead article of the local newspaper on Monday, July 17. Also of note is the fine print on the right: Today's Weather. The high of 99°F is significantly hotter than Singapore's usual 86, but believe me: It's not the heat; it's the humidity. The low of 61°F is significantly colder than Singapore's lowest temperature ever recorded, 67.