Singapore Adventure

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Oompa-Loompa: Bo Bo Cha Cha
by venitha

I'm tempted to stop right here. How can I possibly do that title justice?

Bo Bo Cha Cha's redeeming qualities: A light, sweet, creamy, warm coconut milk broth; and, of course, an awesome name.

Bo Bo Cha Cha's not-so-redeeming qualities: The vegetables, yes, vegetables, swimming in it.

I had never had Bo Bo Cha Cha before the Oompa-Loompa day, but the guys I work with frequently seem to enjoy it. When I pressed them for the Bo Bo Cha Cha low down, they told me that it's sweet coconut milk with, ummmm.... stuff they don't know the English words for and that they're pretty sure I won't like. Now that I've officially had the pleasure, I gladly give them credit for being absolutely, completely, 100% right.

I have no idea about the strange green and pink jellied stuff, but my best guess for those other tasty morsels is potatoes, sweet potatoes, and yams: foods - and there are those who would argue that I'm being generous calling sweet potatoes and yams food - that, I'm sorry, just do not belong in dessert, no matter how cool a name you give it.

*****

In the interest of full disclosure, I did once, and only once in my entire life thus far, enjoy sweet potatoes in a dessert. I suspect, however, that that dessert was made with far far more butter than sweet potatoes, far far more brown sugar than butter, and far far more love than brown sugar. Thank you, Eldon.

Then again, that may have just been a strange dream brought on by seven months of Asian dessert torture and chocolate deprivation.

venitha