Singapore Adventure

Saturday, January 14, 2006

A Challenge
by venitha

Dawood, our kind and constantly smiling condo guard, keeps telling me, "Now I've met your husband's family. It's time for your family."

"They're my family, too," I assured him the first time he said this. "My mother, my brother, my sister, as well." But I have since dropped this tack, lest he get the wrong idea: that we are from Appalachia and not just very close in heart.

It occurs to me now that he is issuing a challenge to my family, an appropriately-timed challenge now that, along with the regular season, our football pool is over and our weekly contest and trash talk have come to an end. I am victorious in the football pool, though I have to share with my brother-in-law my Supreme Football Goddess title, the cash prize, and the bragging rights, all of which are little compensation for the depressing 4-12 Packer season.

Major compensation, however, would be a family visit, including an in-person pay-off of some international gambling debts. I'd even accept Singapore dollars if they were delivered by hand. Heck, if the Bears win the superbowl, I'll buy your airline ticket, Dad.

venitha