Singapore Adventure

Monday, August 01, 2005

Modesty
by venitha

Jim has not yet stolen my line: Are you wearing that? But it's surely only a matter of time. I'm becoming less and less modest in my dress every day. Things clearly can't continue at this rate.

I'm fairly shocked at what I'm currently willing to wear out in public. If I were dressing like this in Colorado, it would be a definite sign of a mid-life crisis, and I'd start waiting for that cherry red Miata to catch my eye. And a black leather jacket. Well, I did just buy a black leather sofa... Hmmm... It's probably best not to think about that.

Part of this dressing down, so to speak, is the sweltering heat. Part of it is undoubtedly the subliminal suggestions swirling seductively through my apartment. And part of it is the influence of how people dress here. Actually, I should say how Caucasians dress here. Those wacky Singaporeans frequently wear pants and long-sleeved shirts. I've even seen - gasp! - sweaters and - I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes - jackets! Not black leather, though. Yet.

Thankfully, my imminent public nudity was forestalled a bit this weekend when Jim and I emerged from the basement hawker centre at Sim Lin Square, home of cheap electronics and the best , into... Why is it so dark? Wasn't there light coming in here from outside last time? Ooooh! ...a storm-blackened sky and pummeling rain. We made a mad dash to the nearest busstop and exchanged astonished looks as we experienced a most unexpected and welcome miracle: we were cold outdoors in Singapore.

Twenty soggy minutes later, we reached the shelter of our apartment, and I actually donned a sweater of my own. We marveled at the storm outside and clinked mugs of hot chocolate in celebration.

venitha