Singapore Adventure

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Mother Nature: Sungei Buloh
by venitha

A bold departure from the rainforest trekking so prevalent in Singapore, Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve provides mudflats and lily ponds. Many observation blinds are conveniently provided for patient birdwatching, notably egrets, herons, and sandpipers. Unsurprisingly, the blinds require someone of my height to stoop; I guess I'm a bit taller than your average Asian.

You don't need blinds to see the wild dogs, thankfully not roaming in packs, or the monitor lizards. We were actually appreciative of the protection a blind provided from the alarmingly large and frighteningly fast lizards.
Unfortunately, the birds weren't overly abundant on our visit to Sungei Buloh back in September, though I admit that patience is not one of my virtues. Rumor has it that flocks of migratory birds are passing through this week, however, so braving the lizards could definitely be worth your while.

venitha