Singapore Adventure

Friday, August 12, 2005

When Will The Madness End?!?
by venitha

Our guests on National Day treated us to marvelous desserts. Timo, a German, made a scrumptious crème caramel for which we all now happily have the recipe. Russell, a Brit, brought a luscious chocolate cake, though he joked that May, his Singaporean wife, had wanted to get the cake with fish floss. Fish floss hasn't yet contaminated my dessert options, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. I've typically seen it piled on a loaf of bread or adding a little crunch to a salad, neither of which is offensive enough to incur a tirade beyond What is that? You've got to be kidding.

The following, on the other hand, is rant-worthy. I mean, just look at what passes for dessert in this country. Seriously.

And trust me, each of those three toppings tastes exactly like it looks. Ewww. Jim thinks the squiggly neon green worms are jellied wheat grass juice. The beans are not significantly different from refried beans in both texture and the fact that they are not sweet. I don't have a clue about the black jell-o cubes, but believe me when I say that Bill Cosby wouldn't dream of associating himself with this stuff.

Lest you think the toppings are the only crime against the sweet tooth committed by this travesty, please know that it is listed on the menu board as iced chendol w/durian. I had the good sense, of course, to insist that the dreaded durian be withheld, and I therefore hoped that I had rescued the concoction from true heinousness. But, alas, it was not to be.

People here actually eat this stuff. With pleasure! When will the madness end?!?

venitha