Singapore Adventure

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Boys Buying Breakfast
by jima

On Friday morning I was invited to join Don and Choon Hwee for "a real Singaporean breakfast". How could I resist? So we walked from work over to a food court under the building next to us (who knew that was there? - these guys are hiding eating establishments everywhere!).

Don assured me that he knew what to order, and, against my better judgement, I trusted him. He went and ordered for all three of us, and then he and I went off to get some beverages. I ended up with a mixed drink (NOT that kind of mixed drink) of soya juice and some drink with jellied grasses(?). The jellied grass came in the form of little black "worms" that were about 1 inch long. Once you got past the form factor, the taste was OK. I will admit that it will take me a while to get used to drinks with "floaters" in them. Not something I'm used to.

After a few minutes of sipping our drinks and pleasantly chatting, our meals showed up. All I can say is YUMMY! Two different kinds of roti prata; one with an egg on it (lower right) and some fish curry to put on top (upper left), and one with crispy edges and a soft, white, fluffy center (upper right). This one came with brown (orange, actually) sugar and coconut shavings to place on top. Very sweet and very delicious.

Thanks again to Don and Choon Hwee for taking me along on this. Eating breakfast out has long been a favorite treat of mine, so it's good to know that I can continue this tradition but with a Singapore twist! Hopefully we can make this a regular thing. Next time I buy!

jima