Singapore Adventure

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Dad (jima)
by jima

As many of you already know, my father passed away on the 2nd of January, 2005; one day before his 77th birthday. Venitha and I found out about this shortly after we got to the hotel in Singapore the first night. It was tempting to get right back on a plane and go home at that point, but thanks to the encouragement of my family and the support of each other, we decided to do the work we had come to do as best as we could and come home at the scheduled time (today, Saturday, January 08).

I don’t want to make this too maudlin, but I feel that the description of our trip would be incomplete without mentioning this difficult aspect of it. It was a stressful week, which helped in a lot of ways, as it kept us focused on the task at hand. Nights were very difficult, as the jet lag kept waking us up at 4AM with no hopes of returning to sleep.

I have really appreciated the support of my family during this time. They did a great job of taking care of things, of making sure I knew things were getting taken care of, and of taking care of us as best they could through the emails and phone calls.

It was a successful week, but I am glad to be heading home to start the grieving process with my family.

jima