Singapore Adventure

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Love, Hate, Name Something You Ate X
by jima

  • One thing I love about living in Singapore is...
    The exposure it gives me to different interests and different ways of life. I always enjoy - even if they don't - getting to know my co-workers better by finding out how they spend their weekends. The list of activities in Singapore is notable for both its similarities and its differences from Colorado: rollerblading is fairly routine, bird photography is a bit of a stretch, and competitive badminton is something I would have had a hard time taking seriously had I not seen it myself.

  • One thing I hate about living in Singapore is...
    The effect that expensive alcohol has had on my hangovers. As hard as it will be for my college roommates to believe, my hangovers have gotten worse in the last year. Less alcohol + less time spent drinking = longer lasting + downright brutal hangovers. Most smart people would do the math. "And drink more," Venitha insists, as only someone who grew up in Wisconsin and is clearly not suffering as I am can.

  • A new thing I ate recently is...
    Home-made "fusion" cuisine. Supper a few nights ago consisted of tender spicy red curry chicken sliced up and rolled within a garlic roti with salsa. That's Thai, Indian, and Tex-Mex - unlikely, I admit, to start any trends, but it was quite tasty.

  • Something I recently bought is...
    Nothing! The Great Singapore Sale has been on for three weeks now, and I haven't got a thing to show for it. I hoped Venitha would bail me out here, but I guess wild shopping sprees just aren't our forte. She did brave the crowds on a recent weekday afternoon to buy a pillow (20% off! What a bargain!) for the beautiful Indian cushion cover given to us by some terrific new friends here in celebration of our Sing-iversary.
  • Singlish o' the day:
    Win oreddy lor. An argument ender that essentially means "Uncle!" Or for the more verbose among you: "I give up, you win already, and let's end this foolish discussion because it's getting us nowhere."
jima